Hon .Elvis Ankrah reads the NDC proposed reforms
The former Minister of Youth and Sports, Hon. Elvis Ankrah Afriyie of the NDC has revealed some so-called achievements and proposed Reforms by the EC.
NDC’s Proposed Reforms
The Ghanaian Politician stated at the Press conference that, after a painstaking review of the 2020 elections, the following are the preliminary proposals for electoral reforms which the NDC intends to engage various stakeholders such as the media, civil society organizations, religious leaders, traditional leaders, development partners, the diplomatic community, and the general public.
These preliminary proposals are as follows:
- That, the participation of IPAC and its advisory role in the electoral process should be given legal backing, without encroaching on the constitutional independence of the Electoral Commission.
2. That, the EC adopts an equitable voting formula for political parties in IPAC deliberations based on their representation in Parliament.
NDC’s Proposed Reforms
3. That, the Electoral Commission complies with the use of the legally-prescribed Statement of Poll/Pink Sheet (Form 8A & 8B) provided for in our Election Regulations to prevent the omission of BVD entries so as to preserve the ballot accounting process and makes it possible to check multiple voting, ballot stuffing, impersonation and other forms of rigging.
4. That, the high rate of rejected ballots recorded in the 2020 general elections be addressed through the use of the appropriate ink pads and that same should be stipulated in our election regulations.
5. That, the EC employs and trains highly competent staff to accurately fill election result forms and collate results so as to forestall the reoccurrence of the widespread cases of arithmetic errors recorded in the 2020 general elections,
6. That, the Electoral Commission reverts to the time-tested election security arrangement where the deployment of security for election purposes is reserved to the Ghana Police service acting within a framework provided by the Electoral Commission. This security arrangement should have minimum involvement of the military and no interference whatsoever by so-called National Security operatives, as recommended by the Emil Short Commission.
The party has constituted a committee to come up with a compressive document on electoral reform proposals and we shall share that with you in the coming days.
Hon. Elvis Afriyie Ankrah
Dikoder.com is not responsible for any featured or opinions reportage of contributors published on the website. Read our disclaimer.
Send your news articles to email@example.com and via WhatsApp on +233 558 191 562.